Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Indiana Jones Birthday

My baby turned 6 last week, how did that happen? It seems like just yesterday I was holding my baby and then poof,  he was 6, not sure where all those years went but they were gone in an instant. No matter how much I wish he would stop growing, he simply refuses so I guess we will celebrate and celebrate we did. To say my son is a fan of Indiana Jones is an understatement so it was not hard to decide what type of birthday party we would have. To start I came up with a simple invitation featuring Lego Indiana Jones that we passed out to my son's classmates. To make these invitations, I used some clip art of Lego Indiana Jones in the corner and downloaded the Indiana Jones font for the wording then to make them look old and add interest, I burnt the edges of the invite. Pretty cute and pretty easy that is the kind of project I love.



For the party, I decided that every good archaeologist needs to know how to discover treasure so I hid a bunch of it the sandbox and let the kids at it to find as much as they could. The kids however need a place to store their treasures so I decided to make each of the kids a satchel, like Indiana Jones uses to store their treasures in. These bags were really easy and really fast to make. I made 15 of them in about 1 1/2 hours, so yes, very easy.


First off, I cut a rectangle out of brown felt that measured 10 by 20. I then cut little notches out of the 20 inch side a little more than 1/3 of the way up. These notches measured about 1 by 2 inches.


I then folded the bottom of the bag up so that the notches were folded in half and sewed each side of the bag up.


I then pinched the notched area together so that it formed a flat bottom to the bag and sewed the corners.


Then you will flip the bag inside out so that the seams are on the inside.


For the handle, I cut a 2 by 32 inch rectangle out of felt and attached it to opposite sides of the bag. Then fold the top flap over and tada, you have a down and dirty satchel, perfect to hold treasure.


Lastly and maybe most importantly we needed a cake. I wish I could claim responsibility for this part but I am just not talented when it comes to decorating cakes however my mama is excellent and is always willing to make my kid's birthday cakes. If you have time you should check out her blog to see some of the wonderful cakes she has made. http://cakesbyjanet.blogspot.com/

All in all a fun time was had by all, the treasure hunt/dig was a hit, cake was enjoyed, and smileswere flashed. Happy Birthday to my baby, I am so blessed to have you as my son!

1 comment: