Monday, April 4, 2011

Cascarones "Confetti Eggs"

A few years ago a friend of mine who grew up in Mexico with her parents who were missionaries showed me how to make these "Cascarones" or confetti filled eggs for Easter. She said as a child in Mexico, the mothers would make hundreds of these eggs and then hide them for the children to find on Easter morning. Once found, the children would then run around cracking them on other children's heads. I am sure there is more significance to this tradition than I know about, all I know is that my children loved doing this and that our family has started making and hiding these confetti eggs every Easter. Here is how we make them.


Through out the year as I use eggs and remember to do it, I cut the ends of eggs off and rinse out the eggs and set them aside to color later.

As Easter nears, I color all the eggs I have collected using any egg coloring set you find in the grocery store around Easter.



Once colored, I take them out of the dye and allow to dry over night.


Then fill them with paper confetti which you can buy in any party supply store.


To cover the hole and keep the confetti inside, cut a small square of tissue or crepe paper and glue it over the hole using a little bit of watered down Elmer's glue.


Let dry and then hide them as you would an Easter egg.


Then let the fun begin as you watch your children crack the eggs on each other's heads. In our house, the whole family joins in when it comes to the cracking of the eggs. It really is a lot of fun and a good way to get everyone involved in the Easter fun. I don't know about you but as my oldest has matured, I have found it harder and harder to find things to hide in eggs other than money and candy and these eggs have given me yet another thing to keep him entertained and engaged on Easter.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, how fun does that look!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we enjoy the colorful Easter eggs called cascarones, let us remember to tell the children their significance. Their empty shell represents the empty tomb of our Lord Jesus. The colorful confetti inside represents the joyful celebration over Jesus Christ’s resurrection from the dead. Cascarones represent the good news of Easter: The Lord is risen! The Lord is risen indeed!

    ReplyDelete