Friday, March 18, 2011

Mickey and Friends Autograph T-shirt


We are in Florida right now visiting Mickey and his friends. We surprised our kids with the trip, not telling them about it until the day we left, such a great surprise. At Disney World, collecting all the character's autographs is a big part of the experience but I didn't want to be bogged down with carrying around autograph books for each of my kids so I thought, why not make an autograph t-shirt that way they could wear their shirt while at Disney World and also afterwards as a reminder of what a fun time they had and as an added bonus, we don't have to worry about setting down the autograph books and loosing them, kind of hard to lose the shirt off your back though it can be done, just ask my hubby about that (thank you by the way.)

Here is a quick how to on how I made them. I started out with a blank t-shirt I found on sale at Jo-ann's, they were on sale 5 for $10.00 so I picked up a few.
I then used my favorite tool, the Silhouette Craft Cutter to cut out the graphics. What I love about the Silhouette is that it will cut out any true type font and I can download a ton of them for free which is how I got the Disney font on mine. I just googled Disney font, saved it to my fonts file and then opened up my Silhouette program and like magic, there is was. For the Micky silhouette, I found a picture of Mickey's head, saved it to my computer and then opened it up in my Silhouette program. Once here, I selected the trace image tool, highlighted the image and again like magic, Mickey's head was traced and ready to cut.


After I had designed my t-shirt just the way I wanted I sent it to be cut. You could either cut it out of iron on vinyl or use freezer paper and fabric paint to make these. I was out of vinyl so freezer paper it was. A little tip because it took me forever to find the freezer paper at the grocery store, mine carries it in with the canning supplies, I know some have it with the wax paper and aluminum foil but mine does not.



Once it was cut and  my freezer paper stencil was ironed on, I used a sponge and painted over my stencil. Make sure that you put something on the inside of your shirt so the paint doesn't bleed through, I used cardboard from and empty cereal box. Let this dry for 24 hours and then heat set it with an iron. I then let my "em-agination" run wild with my daughter's t-shirt and "Minnie-fied" it, (I know this isn't a real word but who cares) adding some felt flowers and rhinestones over one of the ears. So cute! My son's is pretty cute also but a little boring if you ask me.





I'll post pictures of the autograph tee's when we get back and hopefully they are all filled up with lots of autographs!

No comments:

Post a Comment