Wednesday, June 29, 2011

T-shirt Refashion


I was shopping at Old Navy the other day when I noticed that they had men's t-shirts on sale for $3 a piece. I thought, you can't beat that price so I picked up several in the largest size they had, to do a few refashions for myself and my daughter. Using a t-shirt and some cute trim I picked up at Jo-Ann's on clearance I came up with this cute tunic length tank-top. It was super easy to make, here is how I did it.


Start with your t-shirt, I used an XXL t-shirt, though to big, it provided the length I wanted for a tunic length shirt and with a few well placed gathers, it was flowy enough for a loose fitting summer shirt.


Cut the sleeves off the t-shirt, just outside the seam of the sleeve.


 Cut the neck off the shirt, just below the neck hole opening.


Turn under the arm holes and sew so that you have a a finished edge.


Using a basting stitch, sew two rows of stitches on both the front and back of the shirt about 4 inches from each side and 1/4 inch apart. Then pull the bottom threads of each row so that gathers are created. As you can see, I gathered the back of my shirt more than the front of my shirt.


Take your trim and measure out two lengths slightly longer than the top edges of the front and back of your shirt. Fold over the edges of the trim to create a finished edge and sew trim into place.


Measure the length of trim needed to create the straps of your shirt, pin into place and sew.


Yahoo!!! You are done, wasn't that easy? Now to plan what to do with the remaining shirts I bought.

5 comments:

  1. super cute! Love the trim you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cute and seems simple. I never thought to making a t-shirt into a tank. Great idea!!!
    following you now
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a huge box of tees that need some major upcycling...great idea, Em!

    If you have a moment today, please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my name is Jennifer and I just wanted to let you know that I have featured your tutorial on my blog. Please let me know if there is any content that you wish for me to remove. Cheers
    www.eatcraftsow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tips Jitu Memenangkan Permainan Sabung Ayam Online S1288

    Agen Sabung Ayam Online Terbaik Dan Juga Terpercaya https://sabungayamlive.net/

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    http://ayamsatebv.blogspot.com/2018/09/6-model-ayam-pertandingan-bangkok-yang.html/

    ReplyDelete