Sunday, June 5, 2011

Patriotic Potatoes



What a great weekend we had here in Oregon, we broke 80 degrees for the first time this year and my family spent the majority of the time outside. The kids had softball and t-ball games, my oldest spent the majority of his time at the skate park. I got my vegi garden planted yahoo, Mr. Smith fixed the sprinkler system which he mangled with the rototiller last year and we went to the local farmers market. I love the farmer's market and our area has some really great farmer's markets. I picked up some baby (and I mean baby, probably no bigger than a jumbo marshmallow) potatoes in various colors, red, white and blue. Well, you can't buy red white and blue potatoes and not do something patriotic with them so I present to you, Patriotic Potatoes.


These make a really fun, easy side dish, do you see the American flag? Yes I know I didn't quite get it right, the corner should be blue with red and white stripes, but I bought more blue potatoes and only a few red so I didn't have enough to make a proper American flag but you get the idea. My kids thought making an American flag out of potatoes was fun and they liked helping squish the potatoes also.  To make these, all you need are red, white and blue potatoes, (any color will do but check out your farmer's market they just may have some blue potatoes) Then after you have washed them, cook them in the microwave until they are soft. Then put them on a baking sheet and take a glass cup and push on the potato with the bottom of the glass until the potato smashes. Then dot the potatoes with a little bit of butter and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 375 degrees until they start to brown. My kids like to eat them with ketchup, I prefer mine with a dab of sour cream.



As they bake, the skin sort of hardens and holds everything together so they would be great as finger food at your next party. You could sprinkle them with a little bacon and cheese and topped with a dab of sour cream and chives, sort of like potato skins but way less work. Give them a try, I bet your family will love them.

1 comment:

  1. Yep - I can see the flag! What a fun idea! I've never had blue potatoes before - I shall have to look out for them!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete