Monday, February 21, 2011

Spice Up Your Life


I've said it before, I am frugal. Not only am I frugal when it comes to crafting but in most areas of my life. In our house we have been following the the Dave Ramsey "Total Money Makeover" plan for the last 1 1/2 years and this plan requires budgeting for everything. Our budget for groceries every month is $600 which feeds a family of 5, breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've been told by some that this is low, I don't know if it is or isn't, it just works for us but it does require a little "em-agination" to make the money stretch. One of the ways I have found to cut down on grocery costs is to buy spices in the bulk section of our local grocery store. I can get the same amount you pay $2-$3 for in the little plastic jars in the bulk section for 40-50 cents. All the little bags from the bulk section though make for a very messy spice cupboard.

So I set out to fix that when I found some small glass jars at Cost Plus World Market. These jars were .99 cents a piece but they were running a sale, buy 2 get the third 1 free which made the jars .67 cents a piece, right up my alley, cheap and much more appealing than those little plastic spice containers. Using my favorite crafting tool, I labeled the jars and filled them up with my bulk spices. A nice and easy craft that helps with organization which is not one of my strong points.

No comments:

Post a Comment